Heading back to the workplace after an on-the-job injury is never easy. Make sure you understand your rights. Your health and wellbeing could depend on it.

Here are 5 rights employees have under Minnesota workers’ compensation law and discrimination laws:

  1. Vocational rehabilitation. Unfortunately, you may never fully recover from your workplace injury, and you might not be able to go back to your job. If you need training or help landing a new career, the law provides for vocational rehabilitation services.
  2. Wage loss benefits. Do you have to take a lower-paying job when you go back to work? Maybe you have disabilities, so you can no longer perform your previous job, or any job that pays as well. If this is the case, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation wage loss benefits that would make up for the difference in earnings.
  3. Disability benefits. Are you worried that you are not ready to go back to work, but you can’t afford to take time off? Disability benefits, either permanent or temporary, may be available to you. Going back to work before you have recovered can be dangerous. Talk to an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer about your options.
  4. Compensation for medical treatment, lost wages and pain and suffering. Is your employer or its insurance company refusing your application for workers’ compensation benefits? In Minnesota, employers are required to carry insurance to cover workplace accidents and the resulting medical bills, lost wages and more. Before you give up and go deeply into debt, reach out to a workers’ compensation law firm. Our law office will not charge you to review your case and help you understand your options.
  5. Reasonable accommodations. Would you be able to return to your job as long your employer made a few accommodations for you? The law requires employers to make reasonable accommodations to allow people with disabilities to perform their jobs.

For more information about your rights and options take a look at Minnesota’s workers’ compensation handbook, or contact an experienced lawyer.