Proud To Protect Injured Workers

Photo of attorney Gerald W. Bosch

Proud To Protect Injured Workers

  1. Home
  2.  → Workers’ Compensation FAQ

What Should You Do After You Sustain An Injury At Work?

  • Report the incident to your employer immediately.
  • Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
  • Inform the doctor that you were injured at work and what hurts.
  • Have your doctor write work restrictions that you can provide to your employer.
  • Follow your doctor’s recommendations, both in terms of treatment recommendations and in terms of physical restrictions.

Contact Bosch Law Firm, to confirm that your claim is being handled properly. There is no charge for the initial consultation. Further, you would not pay any attorney fees unless there is a recovery of disputed benefits as a result of our involvement.

Call 651-243-2877 to make your appointment. Based in the St. Paul area, we serve clients in St. Paul, Minneapolis, and across Minnesota.

What Happens If The Insurer Denies Your Benefits?

  • The insurer may deny the entire injury, may deny certain body parts, or it may deny your entitlement to available workers’ compensation benefits like wage loss benefits or medical treatment.
  • You are entitled to file a claim for these benefits and you need to act quickly to protect your benefits. The process to obtain payment of benefits can be confusing, complicated and difficult to do on your own. The insurance company has lawyers on its side; you should, too.
  • Contact us to discuss your rights and to file the necessary petitions or objections to ensure you are paid all appropriate workers’ compensation benefits.

Do You Have To Treat With A Company Doctor?

  • In most cases, an injured worker is free to choose his or her own doctor.
  • Even if you have been treated with the employer/insurer’s doctor on several occasions, you may still be able to choose your own doctor for a second opinion and a change of physician.
  • Contact us to ensure you get the medical care you need from health care providers you choose.

What Is An IME (Independent Medical Examination)?

An independent medical examination (“IME”) is really an adverse medical examination requested by the workers’ compensation insurer with a physician of its choice.

The doctor conducting the evaluation is not there to provide you with medical treatment; he or she is solely there to give the insurance company his or her opinion regarding the issues involved with your case such as:

  • Whether your injury is work-related
  • The nature and extent of injury
  • Whether you need restrictions
  • Whether you need additional medical care
  • Whether you have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI)
  • Whether you have a ratable permanent partial disability

This is a very important event in your case and can have a significant impact on your claim for additional benefits. You should contact us to seek immediate advice upon receipt of notice of an independent medical examination.

Do I Need To Pay Out-Of-Pocket For Medical Treatment And Can I Be Reimbursed Travel Expenses?

Medical treatment expense is paid by the workers’ compensation insurer directly to your doctors, therapists and pharmacists. Typically, there are no out-of-pocket expenses.

If you do pay for something out of pocket, like a prescription or a crutch or TENS units and supplies, the workers’ compensation insurer must reimburse you. You are also reimbursed for your reasonable expenses incurred to obtain medical treatment such as mileage, parking expenses, and cab or bus fares. Keep accurate records and submit the records to your insurer for reimbursement.

Where Can I Turn For Help With My Workers’ Comp Claim And Answers To My Other questions?

Contact us to arrange a free consultation with an experienced workers’ comp lawyer. Call 651-243-2877 or complete the online form.